Monday, November 17, 2008

Pumpkin without the Pumpkin

Pumpkins This time of year, I always have pumpkin on my mind. As much as I love dishes made with fresh pumpkin (or their seeds--check out my recipe for "Parmesan Pepitas" which I posted on my other blog, Season to Taste), sometimes all that peeling, seeding, de-gooping, and chopping can be a bit of a drag. There are lots of fantastic recipes made with packed pumpkin (the kind in the can)...but through my freelance recipe development for the Bigelow Tea Company, I've discovered a whole new way to get great pumpkin flavor in foods....pumpkin tea!

Two of my more recent recipes developed for Bigelow are Pumpkin Spice Waffles with Walnuts and Pumpkin Spice Meringue Cookies with Pecans. Both have the wonderful flavor of pumpkin without having to use a peeler OR a can opener. The key is to brew the tea extra-strong for maximum impact. Even when added in small amounts (like in the meringues--which would fall flat with any larger amount), it adds fantastic flavor and color to these recipes. I also pair each recipe with a different type of nut---- I love how the flavor and texture of the nuts compliment the pumpkin.
Check out the recipes and let me know how you like them! I think you'll be surprised by the wonderful pumpkin flavor---without the pumpkin!




Check the Bigelow website soon for my Pumpkin Spice Quick Bread with Raisins!
Photo above by Jiffy Cat.


No comments: