Sunday, July 13, 2008

From the Farm: Tomatoes


Just like last week's summer strawberries, there is nothing like a fresh summer tomato right off the vine.

In my CSA share this week, there were two types of tomatoes. Nice big juicy ones perfect for slicing, and smaller cherry tomatoes just right for a summer salad. The minute I laid my eyes on those large tomatoes, I conjured up an image of the great BLT panini I was going to make for lunch the next day--also using the giant, crunchy bundle of romaine lettuce in my share (no, I still haven't grown tired of my panini maker). But I wanted to think more carefully before frittering away those beautiful smaller tomatoes.


My immediate thought was to use it for a cucumber and tomato Greek salad, or perhaps incorporate the basil also in my share and make a Caprese Salad. But when I peered into my refrigerator and saw a lonely, leftover piece of grilled wild salmon, and the adorable baby cucumbers I discovered at Trader Joe's, an Asian-inspired salad was in order. Okay, maybe tomatoes aren't exactly Asian, but when you taste this salad, you won't care! The bright colors are beautiful, and the flavors all come together in a refreshing, healthy, perfectly-packable summer salad. I made it and took it to the beach for dinner, and had passers-by commenting on how good it looked. Try making it yourself---- using fresh-from-the-farm ingredients where ever possible!


Wild Salmon Salad with Tomatoes
Serves 2

1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
6-8 baby cucumbers, halved lengthwise and sliced (or 1/2 English cucumber)
8 oz cooked salmon fillet (opt for wild caught!)
1 scallion, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon sesame oil
salt/pepper

Flake salmon into bite-sized pieces and place in a bowl. Add tomatoes, cucumbers, and scallion and set aside.

In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together rice vinegar, canola oil, sesame oil and salt and pepper (to taste). Pour over salad and toss gently to combine.

Serve at room temperature.

No comments: