Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Fridge Googling



We've all had those days where we think "what on earth am I going to cook tonight?" Instead of reaching for the phone to order Chinese food, try Googling the contents of your fridge. Yes, you read correctly---Google them! Before I became comfortable creating my own recipes out of leftovers, pantry items, and whatever else I could find in the house, I would type in the names of a few ingredients into a Google search. With fingers crossed, I'd hit return and hope for something to inspire me. Each time, I'd find a number of recipes that were tailor made for foods I already had. Even if I had a general idea of what might work together, having a recipe to follow made things just that much easier when it came time to cook.

As I look in my fridge today, I see that I have some leftover rice, a few pieces of smoked salmon, chives, dill, and cucumbers. My "fridge Google" results produce the following recipes: Scrambled Eggs with Smoked Salmon and Chives and Cucumber and Smoked Salmon Sandwiches. Perfect----scrambled eggs with the smoked salmon and chives, paired with some English muffins I have in my freezer. A great way to use up these things that would soon be out-of-date, AND a delicious combination I may not have considered. So I didn't get to use the rice, but perhaps I'll Google that with a few things from my pantry and see what happens. (You can also "Pantry Google", if you have a decently stocked pantry--a topic I recently blogged about).
So, the next time you find yourself with some random leftovers, don't toss them, Google them!

Herbed Cream Cheese "Crostini" with Smoked Salmon
This recipe came about when I found myself needing an hors d'oeurve without time to head to the grocery store. Maybe someone else with the same items in their fridge will find this post as a result of Fridge Googling!

4 oz cream cheese
2-3 tablespoons chives, chopped
a few pieces of smoked salmon, cut into small, bite-sized pieces
bagel chips

In a small bowl, mix together the cream cheese, chives, and a pinch of salt.

Spread a small amount of the cream cheese spread on top of each bagel chip, and top with a bite of smoked salmon.

No comments: