Monday, April 14, 2008

From the Farm: Radishes


Lexi was back again this week with a half share of this week's harvest from the Gazy Brothers Farm. It included a big bunch of crunchy bok choy (which I plan to use in tonight's stir fry), more green garlic, and some absolutely gorgeous radishes. Pretty as they are, radishes were never one of my favorite things. My husband, on the other hand, loves them. His family always had a garden, and because radishes grow relatively quickly, it was the first veggie he learned to plant as a child. After sampling the fresh bunch in this week's bag, now I know why he loves them----fresh from the garden radishes are DELICIOUS! To me, they were entirely different than the ones I've found in the grocery store. Somehow more mild in flavor, and crunchier. Even my kids loved them (this is my 5 year old's hand grabbing them just as I shot this photo). Before I could even think of what to use them for, half the bunch were gone as my family happily crunched away.

With what was remaining, I chopped up a little Asian-inspired salad. The idea came from a similar salad I used to enjoy when we lived in New York City, at my favorite neighborhood Thai restaurant. A simple, crunchy combination of cucumbers, carrots, and in this case, radishes. A perfect accompaniment to any Asian flavored dinner, or even great on its own for a light lunch.

Crunch away!
Asian Salad with Radishes
Serves 2

1 bunch fresh radishes, sliced into half-moon shaped pieces
1/2 English cucumber, sliced into half-moon shaped pieces

2 medium carrots, sliced into half-moon shaped pieces

2 tablespoons rice vinegar

2 tablespoons canola oil

salt/pepper

pinch of sugar
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped


Place the radishes, cucumbers, and carrots in a bowl.

In a smaller bowl, whisk together the vinegar, oil, salt, pepper, sugar and cilantro.

Toss with vegetables and serve chilled or at room temperature.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Wow, now I want radishes. I have used them in a similar asian-style seared tuna salad. This one sounds really good too!

I've tagged you for a little game, Six Word Memoir. If you feel like playing, check out my post:
http://www.deliciousbynature.com/2008/04/yay.html